The UChicago Crime Lab is seeking Embedded Analysts with strong technical and communication skills to work in close partnership with the Chicago Police Department (CPD) on a project to enhance CPDâ™s use of data to improve public safety. Each Analyst will be embedded in a division of CPD, will work alongside officers, and will assist command staff with analyzing crime patterns and trends, preparing briefing materials, and training others on the use of tools and systems. Working as part of a larger Crime Lab team, the Analysts will enable CPD to utilize the data at its disposal to make better-informed decisions that meet the needs of the communities they serve.
The Embedded Analyst position is a one-year assignment, though there may be an opportunity to extend it subject to funding and project needs. Analysts will work in the Urban Labs Loop office approximately 20% of the week and are embedded in CPD stations the remaining 80% of the week.
Analysis of law enforcement data to identify violent crime patterns
Creation of custom tables, charts, and maps utilizing information from multiple databases
Preparing recommendations for the allocation of available resources and deployment of personnel
Providing technical assistance to officers across a range of analytic tools and products
Presenting findings to CPD command staff and partner agencies
Other duties as assigned
Strong interest in social policy required.
Strong quantitative skills required.
Strong written and verbal communication skills required.
Ability to meet tight deadlines required.
Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail required.
Excellent data visualization ability required.
Ability to work both independently and as a team member required.
Ability to work discretely with sensitive and confidential data required.
Knowledge and understanding of crime policy and/or violence research literature preferred.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in economics, sociology, public policy, statistics, computer science, or a closely related field required
Advanced degree preferred.
Experience working with data to guide decision-making in public policy preferred.
Experience working with large and complex datasets strongly preferred.
Technical Knowledge and Skills:
Experience working with Stata, SAS, R or other statistical programming languages required.
Experience working with GIS and mapping software preferred.
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via the Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
Internal Number: JR00412
About University of Chicago
One of the world's premier academic and research institutions, the University of Chicago has driven new ways of thinking since our 1890 founding. Today, UChicago is an intellectual destination that draws inspired scholars to our Hyde Park and international campuses, keeping UChicago at the nexus of ideas that challenge and change the world.