UC San Diego is ranked the 9th best public university in the nation by U.S. News and World Report and is the largest employer based in San Diego County. Reporting to the VC-CFO, Information Technology Services (ITS) delivers Enterprise information technology services to the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) under the leadership of the campus Chief Information Officer (CIO).
Information Technology Services (IT Services) uses world-class services and technologies to empower UC San Diego's mission to transform California and the world as a student-centered, research-focused, service-oriented public university. As a strategic member of the UC San Diego community, IT Services embraces innovation in their delivery of IT services, infrastructure, applications, and support. IT Services is customer-focused and committed to collaboration, continuous improvement, and accountability.
The Senior Security Engineer is responsible for designing, deploying and managing enterprise security solutions utilizing various network, endpoint and cloud technologies for a 100,000-node network, one of the largest in San Diego. The environment offers exposure to a wide variety of security threats and challenges along with the most cutting-edge security technologies and market-leading security products. The position monitors and responds to security events in the enterprise infrastructure, and drives deployment and integration of security services across the campus.
UC San Diego is a higher education environment offering stability and excellent benefits including a defined benefit retirement plan, as well as access to a world-renown health care system. We are a fast-paced environment, but also believe in maintaining a healthy work-life balance and are committed to employee growth and well-being. Our international reputation for excellence is due in large part to the innovative and entrepreneurial nature of the UC San Diego community. UC San Diego faculty, staff, and students are encouraged to be creative and are rewarded for individual as well as collaborative achievements.
San Diego is ranked #22 in US News best places to live and is renowned for its sunny, temperate climate (upper 70’s in summer to the mid 60’s in winter), proximity to the ocean, mountains, deserts and year-round outdoor activities.
• Leads the design, implementation and management of enterprise security solutions, including network security (firewall, VPN, IDS/IPS, SIEM, and proxy systems), endpoint security (anti-malware, vulnerability scanning, patch management, disk encryption, certificates), and cloud security (platforms such as AWS, Google and Microsoft O365).
• Designs, develops, and implements automation (scripts, templates, and/or software as code) that manage security in a hybrid cloud environment, integrates security systems with threat intelligence, and automates security operations and incident response.
• Monitors and responds to security events in the enterprise infrastructure and across various network, endpoint, application, and cloud systems, analyzes log sources, identifies suspicious behavior, and addresses threats to the enterprise infrastructure.
• Drives deployment and integration of security services across the campus, serves as expert resource on security, scripting and automation, and contributes to campus security knowledge through technical documentation and training.
• Leads risk assessment activities to identify potential threats/vulnerabilities and takes responsibility for the remediation of deficiencies, and ensures campus/core security solutions adhere to policy and regulation (such as ISO27k, HIPAA, FERPA, PCI, etc.).
Our employees enjoy competitive compensation packages and educational opportunities in a diverse, stimulating workforce.
This position is eligible for full:
1) Health/Dental/Vision Insurance
2) Life Insurance
3) UC Retirement Plan
4) Vacation/Holidays (15 vacation days & 13 paid holidays a year).
For more information about UCSD Benefits visit- Benefits http://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/benefits/ and Work/Life http://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/benefits/work-life/.
To calculate an approximate value of the UC Total Compensation package, please click here https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/total-compensation-calculator.php/.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
• A Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Security or a closely-related field AND four (4) years of related experience in information security in an enterprise environment OR eight (8) years of recent relevant experience.
• Advanced knowledge of IT security. Broad experience across a variety of security technologies such as firewalls, VPN, IDS/IPS, threat detection/response, SIEM, endpoint security, and cloud security.
• Demonstrated experience developing in a scripting language such as Perl, Python, BASH, and/or Powershell.
• Demonstrated experience with Linux administration and in using security tools and systems such as Snort, Bro, Nessus, nmap, Wireshark, tcpdump, Splunk, SIEM, etc.
• Ability to work well with others, to give work direction, create task assignments, and give instructions to subordinate technical staff to accomplish project goals/milestones.
• Strong ability to effectively prioritize tasks, manage time, organize activities, deliver overall high productivity.
• Professional security certifications such as GIAC, CEH, CISSP, CCNA/CCNP are preferred.
• Familiarity with cloud security concepts such as DevSecOps, software as code, Cloud access security brokers (CASB), and automating security in cloud environments.
• Experience with AWS security concepts and capabilities such as Security Groups, NACLs, CloudWatch, CloudTrail, VPC flow logs, Guard Duty, IAM, Service Control Policies, etc.
• Job offer is contingent on clear background check.
• Employee must be available to travel as required.
• Employee must be available to work evenings, weekends, and holidays.
• Must be willing and able to work on a rotating on-call basis.