Reporting to the President, the Chief Information Officer supports the College mission and long-range plan by providing strategic vision, direction, and leadership for College-wide information and communication technology.
The primary responsibility of the CIO is to guide and support the College in the effective and innovative use of information and communication technology resources in teaching, learning, services, and operations.
The CIO is responsible for the College’s computing infrastructure, software development, implementation, voice and data communications, vendor relationships, reporting ability for institutional research functions, and insuring the integrity and security of systems across multiple buildings and campuses. The CIO partners with faculty, staff, and administrators to ensure the continuous delivery of IT services through the oversight of service level agreements with vendors, and monitoring of IT systems performance, to ensure the continuous functioning of mission critical operations.
The CIO manages the IT budget and is responsible for identifying and securing funding sources as well as facilitating the procurement process when needed.
The CIO is responsible for IT security including the security of Cecil’s internal and external IT infrastructure. The CIO supervises and is responsible for detecting and identifying intrusions. The CIO makes certain that complete required PCI scanning is performed and deficiencies are rapidly corrected. The CIO also oversees the periodic review and enforcement of IT Governance and IT Standard Operating Procedures. (SOPs)
The CIO explores new technologies and keeps current regarding trends and best practices for information technologies that may be of interest to the College. The CIO’s role is to leverage opportunities that are possible through the effective use of technology.
The CIO should have a vision about the role of information technology in higher education and clear ideas about where it can make the greatest contributions at Cecil College.
The CIO should have the following:
· Experience in leading software development, database, and IT operations.
· Knowledge of budget management and the ability to identify and secure alternative funding sources.
· Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including listening, and an ability to communicate well with and at all levels of the institution.
· The ability to form alliances and relationships with key campus and county constituents.
· The ability to make sure that all information technology efforts are operationally in line with the institution’s goals.
· The ability to work collaboratively and effectively with all members of the college community.
· The ability to make and stick to tough decisions that are in Cecil College’s best interests.
· The agility to stay flexible and open to change.
· The ability to fulfill and manage resources in an environment where the demand is far greater than the supply.
· Experience in IT governance is preferred.
Bachelor's degree in Management, Computer Science or related field from a regionally accredited institution. A Master’s degree in a related field is required. A minimum of seven (7) years of experience in an information technology leadership position for a complex organization, preferably in an institution of higher education. Possess excellent skills to supervise and manage IT personnel, budgets, equipment, and facilities, effectively, efficiently and strategically. Understanding of a wide range of information and communication technologies used in a college, such as academic/instructional programs and tools, administrative computing software, database management systems, communication and networking tools, software development processes, web development, computer/digital device support and management.
About Cecil College
Cecil College, which was founded in 1968, is located in North East, Md. It is governed by a Board of Trustees that is appointed by the governor. The College is fully accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools and the Maryland Higher Education Commission. Cecil also has articulation agreements with more than 30 universities and colleges, both in Maryland and outside the state. This College is moving with ardor and diligence to a higher level of service for students individually and to the region in general. We are in a stronger and stronger position to be part of your program to reach your learning goals. We invite you to join us.