The Sr. Specialist, Freight Expense and Claims Management (FECM) is responsible for providing support and guidance to the FECM specialists to ensure effective execution of, and to drive continuous improvement solutions in, the daily review, audit, and processing of (i) carrier freight invoices and adjustments, (ii) supplier and OpCo detention and (iii) freight cargo claims managed by the FECM team within Sysco Corporate Logistics. Includes, but not limited to, any and all Sysco managed inbound freight shipments within our TMS (Transportation Mgmt. System) servicing operating companies, affiliates, and/or subsidiaries. The Sr. Specialist will be the Subject Matter Expert (SME) and the "go to" person for the FECM Specialists. Additionally, they will display leadership qualities and be a trusted source of information and inspiration for the team.
This role manages high transaction volume with a degree of complexity; there is no one-size-fits-all approach or solution across a vast 3rd party carrier partner and Sysco operating company network. Maintaining proper controls and ensuring accurate and timely processing that complies with Sysco contractual obligations and company policies is paramount.
1. Responsible for, and performs, any combination of inbound freight invoice auditing and payment, and freight claims management. Acts as a SME (Subject Matter Expert) for the FECM team, will own select carrier accounts, claims, and/or other situations that have the greatest risk to service and cost for Sysco and our customers.
2. Actively evaluates, develops, and improves any and all related procedures, job aids, and/or work instructions pertaining to the FECM function. This includes, but is not limited to, the review, analysis, and study of existing carrier accounts, operating company claim events, internal processes and workflows and TMS configurations to improve productivity, service and quality, and to reduce costs. Will lead training efforts for the team, to include on-boarding new associates and will establish effective cross-training plans to improve the depth and skill within the FECM team.
3. Will serve as a project lead, key change agent, and/or critical resource to help drive continuous improvement efforts via direct collaboration with internal and external stakeholders, which includes, but is not limited to, Corp. Logistics (Systems & Analytics, Carrier Development, National Inbound Transportation Center, Market Logistics and Global Trade & Compliance teams), Accounts Payable, Operating Companies and 3rd party intermediaries (e.g. carriers).
4. High sense of urgency and a self-starter, who thrives to be the SME for FECM and participates as required in non-FECM projects or initiatives that have been selected by Corp. Logistics.
5. Evaluates the FECM volume and workload demands against resource capacity. Recommends and supports appropriate team and individual workload levels and prioritization. Assists in resolving resource capacity and assignment gaps.
6. Provides regular reporting for the leadership and data analysis for the team. Must be able to communicate effectively across all levels within the organization.
Education and / or Experience:
Bachelor’s degree plus 5 years’ experience required.
Bachelors in either accounting/finance, logistics, supply chain, computer science, or engineering disciplines highly desirable. Master’s degree is a plus.
Specific experience with accounting related functions, such as Accounts Payable, Invoice & Audit, Accounts Receivable, or similar, is highly desirable.
Import/Export and/or Supply Chain/Logistics related experience desirable.
Computer Proficiency: intermediate level in Microsoft Excel, Word, Access and PowerPoint required. Expertise in Microsoft Excel and Access desirable.
Attention to detail: closely monitor every dollar, be accurate, and make sure everything is in order before processing.
Math: comfort with numbers, basic equations and their relationships.
Analytical: comfort and capabilities to evaluate complex numbers and find disparities, cost saving opportunities and new solutions.
Communication: both written and verbal, to include being a great listener. Adaptive communication style based on audience.
Self-Motivated: impeccable follow-up skills and demonstrate a strong sense of urgency.
Organization & Time Management: effective and efficient handling of multiple tasks.
About Sysco Corporation
Sysco is the global leader in selling, marketing and distributing food and non-food products to restaurants, healthcare and educational facilities, lodging establishments and other customers around the world.