This position plans, organizes, directs and controls all City Public Work functions including: planning, leading and organizing all public works activities relating to engineering, street, water, sewer, storm water, irrigation, solid waste, parks, facilities and fleet operations, emergency response for snow/ice/flood/severe weather, and services within the City by establishing goals and objectives within the policy directives set forth by the City Council and City Manager.
The Director of Public Works performs supervisory, administrative and professional work including planning and budgeting, for the Public Works Department functions for the City as mandated by ORS and the Umatilla Municipal Code. This position is an Executive level, exempt position answering directly to the City Manager
· Bachelor’s Degree in business administration, public administration, civil engineering, water resources management, or related field.
· At least five years of progressively responsible administrative experience in the public works field and three or more years in a supervisory capacity.
· Any equivalent combination of education and progressively responsible experience, with additional work experience substituting for the required education on a year for year basis.
· Working knowledge of government public works management and applicable federal and state law regulations.
· Thorough knowledge of modern principles and practices of construction and maintenance methods, materials, and equipment.
· Thorough knowledge of administrative practices and procedures related to public works management, safety measures, public works planning, design, maintenance, construction, fleet management, and precautions.
· General knowledge of engineering principles and practices.
· Possess and maintain a valid OR Driver’s License with an acceptable driving record.
· Must be bondable.
Additional Salary Information: Plus excellent benefits
About City of Umatilla
Located in the Columbia Basin along the border of Oregon and Washington, energetic and inviting Umatilla enjoys a small-town atmosphere amidst the natural beauty from the Columbia River, surrounding farmland, forests, and mountains. With all the amenities you need in town and all the ones you want in town or nearby in Hermiston or the Tri-Cities, Umatilla provides an exceptional place to live, work, and play.