The Chief Diversity Officer (CDO) will be responsible for driving strategic initiatives that help the firm attract, retain, and promote diverse talent and foster an inclusive environment. The CDO is the firm’s diversity and inclusion thought leader, influencer, and subject matter expert, who educates and engages internal stakeholders and firm leaders to ensure diversity and inclusion remains a strategic business priority embedded in the firm’s processes and initiatives.
The CDO reports directly to the Managing Partner and attends and reports to the firm’s Management Committee quarterly, and as needed. The CDO leads the Diversity Advisory Council, directing internal firm stakeholders to implement practices, policies, programs, and initiatives that work to improve the experience of the firm’s diverse attorneys.
Strategy and Policy Development
· Create and oversee implementation of best practices and action plans to achieve goals outlined in the 2018 Diversity and Inclusion Plan and the 2019 Strategic Plan.
· Manage and track key metrics to evaluate the firm’s progress on achieving goals and efficacy of diversity and inclusion programs. Recommend updates and revisions to policies, practices, and plans as needed.
· Recommend updates and revisions to policies, practices, and plans as needed.
Support Hiring, Retention, and Advancement of Diverse Attorneys
· Cultivate relationships with diverse attorneys and support the hiring, retention, and advancement of diverse attorneys across the firm.
· Educate and guide members of the Diversity Advisory Council and others across the firm to identify challenges and obstacles to career development and advancement and to proactively develop and implement solutions.
Training and Education
· Develop, implement, and lead comprehensive educational and training programs designed to educate members of the firm about expected behaviors and to drive behaviors that support the diversity and inclusion initiatives of the firm.
Client Facing Responsibilities
· Proactively identify opportunities to engage and partner with clients on diversity and inclusion initiatives and opportunities.
· Provide advice, guidance, and data for external surveys, and client RFPs, surveys, and questionnaires.
· Regularly communicate information about the firm’s diversity and inclusion goals, initiatives, and achievements to all members of the firm and to targeted audiences.
· Serve as the firm’s diversity and inclusion spokesperson for external and media opportunities.
Diversity Initiatives with Outside Organizations
· Manage existing relationships and initiatives with organizations; investigate and recommend opportunities for additional partnerships.
· Serve as resource for legal and business organizations that provide networking and business development opportunities for individual attorneys.
8 to 10 years of experience in a role dedicated to leading diversity and inclusion at a large professional services setting, ideally a law firm.
Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate effectively and build relationships with stakeholders at all levels inside and outside of the firm.
Advanced experience and subject matter expertise in the design, implementation, and delivery of diversity and inclusion strategies that aligns with the organizational strategic goals.
Independent, strategic thinker with demonstrated ability to drive innovation and change.
A team player who can motivate and educate individuals and groups to help drive behavioral change.
Ability to work well under pressure in a dynamic environment, with proven time management skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities and organize complex information.
Coaching experience with diverse attorneys.
Strong judgement and ability to maintain and protect highly confidential and sensitive information.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required; advanced degree or equivalent experience preferred.
May require occasional off-hour meetings and events, occasional travel to other offices.
While performing the duties of the role the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, talk, hear and use hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard.
Vision requirements are required to do computer work
Required application materials: Resume and Cover Letter
About Holland & Hart LLP
Founded in 1947, Holland & Hart is a full-service Am Law 200 firm with offices in eight states and in Washington, D.C. We deliver integrated legal solutions to regional, national, and international clients of all sizes in a diverse range of industries. For more information, visit www.hollandhart.com or on Twitter: @HollandHart.