Assistant Vice President for Technology Infrastructure and Application Services
Primary Purpose: Reporting to the Vice President/CIO and a member of the Technology division executive leadership team, the Assistant Vice President partners with the CIO to develop and maintain the infrastructure, systems, cloud, and application strategy and roadmap. Lead the Technology Infrastructure, Enterprise Systems and Enterprise Application teams in the implementation of business driven, innovative, cost effective, technology solutions and services for the University.
The role is responsible for the secure, timely and efficient delivery of infrastructure and application services into production, and their ongoing operational stability and effectiveness. Ensures the effective evaluation, testing and deployment of changes, and is responsible for the asset management lifecycle of Technology Infrastructure, Enterprise Systems and Enterprise Applications at the University. The role will also oversee the design, implementation and monitoring of technology infrastructure, systems, cloud, and application services, on all campuses, in a manner consistent with industry best practices, meeting or exceeding the expectations of students, faculty, and staff.
Essential Functions: 1. Leads the definition of the universitys technology infrastructure landscape within the context of Pacific Technologys service delivery strategy, goals and technology roadmaps.
2. Works with university stakeholders to meet customer needs by understanding their IT infrastructure and enterprise application requirements, and by provisioning relevant service offerings & capabilities.
3. Develops and maintains positive relationships with customers and external business partners.
4. Creates, maintains and communicates technology infrastructure, systems, cloud and application service standards.
5. Directs the use of infrastructure, systems, cloud, and application activities, processes, and resources to ensure the consistent and effective deployment of new technology services, or changes to existing services.
6. Develops business aligned strategies for delivery of technology infrastructure, systems, cloud and application solutions and services to the University, with Service Level Agreements (SLAs) that strive for maximum availability and uptime to meet business needs.
7. Acts as an innovation enabler and proactively bring forward opportunities and solutions that can drive growth and efficiency.
8. Contributes to, and helps maintain the enterprise systems architecture. Ensures adherence to standards and polices for infrastructure and application components, and integration between system, application, and infrastructure architectures.
9. Drives the rationalization of the Universitys technology infrastructure, systems, cloud, and applications towards a standardized, and optimized end-state, that is Audit and Disaster Recovery ready.
10. Manages the recruitment, development, and retention of an appropriate workforce to meet the infrastructure and application support & development needs of the University, and to make Pacific Technology a great place to work.
11. Incents and motivates the infrastructure and applications technology organization with a clear vision and the consistent recognition of goal achievements.
12. Conducts staff skillset assessments, creates and manages staff development plans, and coordinates training requirements.
13. Develops and maintains the annual operating and capital budgets for infrastructure, systems, cloud, and application technology services consistent within established financial guidelines.
14. Manages costs; conducts near- and long-term financial forecasts to support the Universitys business goals.
15. Ensures the capacity of IT Infrastructure, Enterprise Systems, and Enterprise Application support resources to deliver timely, cost effective services, to meet or exceed customer expectations.
16. Maintains appropriate Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) that track, report upon, and communicate relevant performance and trending metrics.
17. Manages risks that could impact infrastructure and application services delivered by Pacific Technology.
18. In collaboration with Chief Information Security Officer (CISO), ensures the information security of the Universitys network, applications and data, and deploys appropriate internal and external controls to deliver secure network, application and data services.
19. Negotiates with, and manages vendors, outsourcers and contractors to procure IT infrastructure and application technology services and ensures all appropriate vendor contracts serve the Universitys best interests and that suppliers meet their contractual requirements.
Bachelors Degree, ten (10) years in overseeing Infrastructure groups; including application development & support teams and as a technical manager in various disciplines.
Five+ years of experience managing teams with interactions across multiple, geographically dispersed sites.
Strong people and management skills to interact with staff, colleagues, cross-functional teams and third parties.
Ability to drive a team culture of quality and personal accountability.
Expertise in vendor contract management and in the management of distributed teams and resources.
Expertise in cloud technologies such as Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Microsoft Azure.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work equally well in self-managed and team-based software development projects.
Experience with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Project.
Positive attitude, proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to promote and enhance diversity and inclusion.
Self-starter, who applies individual initiative to get the job done.
Ability to translate business needs into technical requirements.
Clear understanding of IT Infrastructure and application lifecycle: Architecture, Design and Operations.
Working knowledge of networking, application, IT security and systems design & development.
Managing technical and non-technical teams, and motivating/incenting them for success.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative but not definitive of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Requires extended periods of sitting and repetitive hand/wrist motion while using computer keyboard and phone. Occasional standing, walking, climbing stairs, bending, stooping and reaching. Ability to lift up to 40 lbs. Physical ability to participate in training sessions, presentations and meetings.
Work Environment/Work Week/Travel: Work performed during standard business hours.
Valid drivers license required. Incumbent must also be able to meet the Universitys fleet rules and be eligible to drive for University business. The University and its insurance carrier reserves the right to exclude applicants based on their driving record.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience, exempt
Background Check Statement: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must pass a criminal background check.
University of the Pacific is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Drawing on its rich legacy as the oldest chartered university in California, Pacific is a student-focused, comprehensive educational institution that produces outstanding graduates prepared for personal and professional success. Our student body thrives in Pacific's small classes and dynamic cultural environment, while our distinguished alumni are transforming their communities every day.
University of the Pacific is a nationally ranked university with a long tradition of dedicated teaching, small class sizes, practical experience and vibrant residential life. The breathtaking main campus in Stockton, California is home to seven schools and colleges, with more than 80 majors and programs of study. Pacific also has the McGeorge School of Law in Sacramento and the Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry in San Francisco. Total university enrollment is nearly 7,000, with 3,757 undergraduates in an average class size of 19 and a student/faculty ratio of 14:1. Eighty-seven percent of students come from California, with 35 other states and 25 foreign countries also represented.